Mary Elizabeth Rinaldi
Boston International Tax Attorney
Mary Elizabeth Rinaldi has extensive experience representing individual taxpayers, banks, trusts, corporations, foundations, high tech companies and other entities in the Boston area, across the United States and around the world involved in complex national and international tax law disputes and litigation. She is a native New Englander highly regarded throughout the U.S. and abroad for her understanding of international tax-FATCA reporting requirements and her ability to navigate clients through sensitive IRS audit processes and procedures.
Ms. Rinaldi is particularly well-known for employing a common sense approach to dispute resolution to successfully resolve serious civil and criminal tax law controversies before the Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Department of Justice, federal courts, and state taxing authorities across the U.S., including authorities in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.
Unique Understanding of Federal Government Procedures
Prior to joining Thorn Law Group, Ms. Rinaldi served as a law clerk for the Honorable Laurence J. Whalen of the United States Tax Court and as a trial attorney for the Internal Revenue Service. As an experienced Boston international tax attorney, she draws upon the unique insight and knowledge she gained from these federal government experiences to counsel and advocate for taxpayers in a wide range of civil and criminal tax law matters, including:
- Offshore bank account and foreign asset reporting violations
- IRS voluntary disclosure and state tax amnesty programs
- Civil tax examinations and audits
- Criminal tax investigations and litigation
- Employment tax audits and litigation
- Tax planning, wealth management and asset protection strategies
- Tax reporting requirements for American citizens living abroad, U.S. companies conducting business overseas, and foreign persons and entities conducting business within the United States
Highly Involved in Professional Associations
Ms. Rinaldi is actively involved in the American Bar Association and the ABA Section of Taxation’s Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties Committee, where she is also a member of the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Task Force. Ms. Rinaldiis a frequent contributor to the ABA Section on Taxation committees that analyze proposed legislation and regulations involving federal tax penalties and enforcement. Ms. Rinaldi is also an active participant in the ABA Section of Criminal Justice’s White Collar Crime Division.
- American Bar Association, Member & Active Contributor
- ABA Section of Taxation’s Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties Committee
- ABA Section of Taxation’s Court Practice & Procedures Committee
- ABA Section of Criminal Justice’s White Collar Crime Division
- Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties Task Force
- Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Task Force
Prior Professional Experience:
- Judicial law Clerk to the Honorable Laurence J. Whalen of the United States Tax Court
- Trial Attorney at the Internal Revenue Service
- LL.M., Taxation Law, Boston University School of Law
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law
- B.A., Boston University
- District of Columbia
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
To learn more about how a Boston international tax attorney at Thorn Law Group can work with you to resolve a tax law controversy or assist you with your tax planning needs, contact Mary Elizabeth Rinaldi, Director of Tax Controversies, at email@example.com.