Experienced Tax Attorneys

Call Us Confidentially Now: 617-692-2989

Call us confidentially now:


You Deserve Confidentiality & Trusted Tax Law Experience

Get Help Now
Arts Cannabis Entertainment Real Estate Sports
Arts Cannabis Entertainment Real Estate Sports

Residency & Source of Income Disputes

International Tax and IRS Voluntary Disclosure Attorneys in Boston

Our Boston tax attorneys can help both non-U.S. citizens who earn income in the United States, as well as U.S. citizens living abroad, understand their income tax liabilities – and in some cases, reduce them.

In general, U.S. citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, but some taxpayers may qualify for foreign tax credits, the foreign earned income exclusion, foreign housing exclusion, or foreign housing deduction, if, according to the IRS:

  • Their tax home is in a foreign country,
  • They are either a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year, or
  • They are physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months.
  • The taxpayer may be able to claim a foreign tax credit if required to pay a foreign income tax to the foreign country, if he or she has not elected the foreign earned income exclusion with respect to that income.
  • The taxpayer may also qualify to deduct away from home expenses (for travel, meals, and lodging), but not against excluded income.

Our tax attorneys understand the various factors the IRS considers when determining tax liability and can help guide you on this issue.

For a consultation, contact Kevin E. Thorn, Managing Partner, at ket@thornlawgroup.com or (617) 692-2989.

Back to the top